- those that write as a form of catharsis are lucky. it’s easily the most frustrating part of my day* .
- i really enjoy thinking and plotting out a story in my head, but putting on paper or on screen is a hassle that I haven’t quite gotten over. i think it would be a lot different if I had any kind of legitimate talent.
- dialogue is, without a doubt, the hardest thing to write. that would actually be a good barometer for artificial intelligence: once a computer can write thoughtful and realistic dialogue between two compelling character, the world is doomed.
- have you ever noticed how all of my sentences look exactly the same? example: something something something something, something something something. it’s an issue i’m trying to fix, but i don’t really know how or where to start.**
- writing for a show like SNL or 30 rock is my dream. it amazes me that people can write stuff that moves so quickly from scene to scene and
- the title of this post has been misleading up to this point. my creative process: before falling asleep, i think of scenarios or characters. i use what i come up with as a basis for a story. i plot that story out each night until i fall asleep. the next night, i pick it up from the last thing i remember from the night before.*** Pretty simple.
- i imagine the trait most successful writers share is high self-awareness. I know what I want to say, but that only gets me so far. putting what you think or feel into words is ridiculously challenging. It’s very similar to translating from one language to another: the message may stay mostly intact, but often the entirety of the message suffers.
- the fact that i haven’t been a student in almost 2 years is becoming increasingly apparent. Lately I’ve been forgetting simple grammar rules and my spelling is getting much worse.
- this post is simply to get me writing again. it actually felt kind of nice to out words on a screen.
* - or week or month (mostly month)
** - there it is again
*** - My senior year of college, I actually made a story from start to finish that (I thought) was pretty damn strong. I tried to write it out and, wouldn’t you know, it ended up sucking ass.